Monday, September 15, 2008

Its Been So Long

I have to apologize to my theoretical readership. If you are really there or to that part of my brain that thinks we are two, you may be wondering where I went. You may have thought I abandoned you. How could I do that to such a loyal following.

Well, no.

Procrastination, embrace it.

It is such a wonderful habit. If you can jump and look at the big picture, view the long term aspect of this approach to life which gets such a bum rap. Think about it. If you are one of those individuals who have an idea and just go and do it. If you are the guy who gets an assignment, school work or job related, and does it a week before it is due. Well, what do you have to look forward to?

Yes, that's right. You, I must do it now, person. You eliminate the joy of having a prize to anticipate. The feeling of anticipation that comes from a job completed. Yes, you do-it-now person, have now created a significant problem for yourself. Right after you made that check mark on your to-do list, which of course never gets very long, you have to look for a new task.

Tasks are not easy to find, not that there isn't always something to do. I mean you can make your bed every morning, take the garbage out, walk that stupid dog. You can do your tax return. You can balance your checkbook, sort your CD's alphabetically, arrange your books by subject by author by year published, or arrange your closet by color and topic. The problem you create by doing it now, is that you constantly have to be looking for that new task, and not just any task but one that needs doing right away.

But Procrastination allows the sweetness of having a task and being able to savor it, allowing that task to ferment into a fine brew. Let a task hang around for an extended period and you can make friends with it. You give it a name. You could share it with friends, let them take a stab it and then give it back.

So, all this time I have been writing this blog in my head. My head is now stuffed with topics and issues that need addressing. Problem is I never wrote them down, so I am stuck writing about procrastination.

Thanks for waiting for me.

No comments: