Thursday, January 17, 2008

First Meeting

Today, January 15th, as the plane bounces along its way to Boston, I am contemplating a meeting that at a minimum will change my life.

In each person’s life there are meetings that are turning points. Back in grade school, the day you met the boy/girl who would be your best friend. In high school, you looked across the room and saw the boy/girl that would steal your heart and would keep it forever or at least for a long time ... that first love will always be in the back of your mind even if they are not in your current life. Of course this latter meeting might have taken place in college, or post college but it happened there was no turning back. Everyone told you to look for a mentor. You not only met him / her but they adopted you and that meeting has made your career and life immensely more successful. Oh, don’t forget the day any one of your children were born … there was no touching ground for days.

Today but more accurately tomorrow I will meet someone who will have no less and in many ways more changing impact on my life. Grandson …

How will it be? Will I be all that you need? Will I be the man that you will tell your children about? Will you write stories about me? Will you seek my counsel when you have important decisions that you might not want do discuss with your parents? Will you call me when you reach a milestone in your life or just to talk?

Now, I recognize that you are the first of what I hope will be many. So, I ask for your help and feedback so that I do this right by your siblings and cousins.

Dear Grandson, I love you more than now at your young age can imagine but I do hope I can be all that for you and more.

Love

No comments: